So what exactly are QR Codes?
QR Codes are 2-D barcodes that can be scanned by a smart phone’s camera. The scan transfers information that can vary depending on the type of code. If you want an exact definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code
How much do QR Codes cost?
There are many apps that smart phones can download at no cost to view QR Codes.
In addition, they can also generate QR codes for your business at no cost. My personal favorite is nonreader. http://www.neoreader.com/
They also have an example page you can try out yourself:
How can my business use QR Codes to benefit us?
1. Feature a photograph of a specific new item, entrée, beverage, upcoming event.
2. Showcase a hot new video.
4. Educate customers on something relevant to the demographic – new trends, historical significance, and information about a particular item. (Some restaurants are using them for nutritional information). Nation’s Restaurant News recently ran an article on an Ethiopian restaurant that uses QR codes very creatively. http://www.nrn.com/article/ethiopian-restaurant-embraces-qr-codes
5. Electronic business cards.
6. Offer or discount.
7. Engage – Social media – the QR code can send users to specific Facebook Landing Page encouraging users to hit the Like button or to a custom Twitter profile to gain followers.
8. Create a custom QR Code – check these out: http://qrarts.com/ and http://mashable.com/2011/02/10/qr-codes-picasso/
9. Scavenger Hunts
While QR codes are new to the US; they have been popular in Asia for quite sometime.
It is important of course to measure the success of any social media or marketing effort you launch for effectiveness and strategic planning. Be sure and use custom URL’s or URL shorteners to measure the success of your QR Codes when sending viewers to a web page or video. Discounts can have a unique code for measurement. Adjust your marketing strategy accordingly.
Tell us about your use of QR Codes with your business.